A second lecture by Jocelyn Bell-Burnell

Subscribe to this topics to get the latest news and announcements
Peter Jedicke
Member Name: Peter Jedicke

A second lecture by Jocelyn Bell-Burnell

Post by Peter Jedicke » October 23rd, 2018, 4:00 pm

At 09:30 on Wednesday, 2018-10-24 in the Physics & Astronomy Seminar Room PAB 100
a very special seminar will be presented by
Prof. Jocelyn Bell Burnell, DBE FRS FRSE FRAS
from Oxford University, U.K.
on the topic
“A graduate student's story—The discovery of pulsars”
In this talk Jocelyn Bell-Burnell will describe how pulsars (pulsating radio stars) were accidentally discovered.

No tickets required, but jacket and tie. Just kidding.
Get there early. This will be a popular event! I only just found out about it now.
Peter Jedicke
"The whole beauty of science, and particularly physics, is that it tells us something astonishing about reality, correcting our naïve intuitions about space and time and causality." (Rebecca Newberger Goldstein)

HenryL
Member Name: Henry Leparskas

Re: A second lecture by Jocelyn Bell-Burnell

Post by HenryL » October 23rd, 2018, 7:19 pm

Peter, I can't thank you enough for announcing her Laird lecture, given today. She is an amazing speaker, and I gave her a 10 out of 10.
I can't wait to hear about her discovery of Pulsars as a graduate student.
Wedn. 9:30am. PAB 100.

Be there or be square. :D

Peter Jedicke
Member Name: Peter Jedicke

Re: A second lecture by Jocelyn Bell-Burnell

Post by Peter Jedicke » October 26th, 2018, 12:10 am

It was great to hear Dame JBB's talk at Western Wednesday morning. Not only did she provide a more technical introduction to pulsars than in her Laird Lecture on Tuesday afternoon, but she provided some very rare insight into three difficult topics: being a grad student, incredibly intelligent understanding of physics, and most interesting of all, the process of making a major discovery in science. It was amazing!

The good news is that she gave essentially the same talk at the Perimeter Institute on Thursday evening, and it's available online here
https://insidetheperimeter.ca/jocelyn-b ... r-webcast/

At some point, if there's enough interest, I suggest we hold a Saturday morning discussion session and watch the entire lecture together.
Peter Jedicke
"The whole beauty of science, and particularly physics, is that it tells us something astonishing about reality, correcting our naïve intuitions about space and time and causality." (Rebecca Newberger Goldstein)