2017 Eclipse RASC Grand Island

Subscribe to this topics to get the latest news and announcements
Mike.Hanes
Member Name: Mike Hanes

2017 Eclipse RASC Grand Island

Post by Mike.Hanes » May 29th, 2016, 1:01 pm

Hi All
At the GA banquet Paul Grey Did a talk about going to Grand Island Nebraska to Watch the 2017 Eclipse on August 21st.
I had been thinking about Nebraska as well so on Monday night I booked a camp spot at the KOA in Grand Island Nebraska as well.
Paul Grey as set up a Facebook Page. Titled ( 2017 Eclipse RASC Grand Island ) go to face book and check it out! There are 17 RASC members booked at the KOA. Mike Roffey and. I have both booked a camping spot each.
NOW is the time to BOOK camp spots and Hotels.
Clear Skies
Mike Hanes
Clear Skies
Mike Hanes

DaveMcCarter
Member Name: David McCarter

Re: 2017 Eclipse RASC Grand Island

Post by DaveMcCarter » June 1st, 2016, 9:48 pm

When I called and booke dmy spot they had three "dry camping" spots left, ie: with no hookups. I took one of them. Then Stan Runge took another. So earlier this afternoon there was one spot left, and that might be gone now. The camp ground is just south of the centre line and south of I80, so easy to get to, if you like driving long distances. It was clear blue sky there today when I called.

Dave

Rick Saunders

Post by Rick Saunders » June 1st, 2016, 10:06 pm

A bunch of us (Dave III, my friend Doug from IN and some folk from the Freenode ##astronomy channel) are heading to a farm just south of St. Louis about 8km off the centreline.
I'd love to change the world. But I don't know what to do. So I'll leave it up to you.

Rick Saunders

Peter Jedicke
Member Name: Peter Jedicke

Re: 2017 Eclipse RASC plans

Post by Peter Jedicke » April 23rd, 2017, 4:08 pm

So it looks like this thread is where we are sharing our plans.

Mike Flegel, Steve Gauthier and I are going to watch the long-range forecast a week before. If it looks okay for southern Indiana/Illinois, we are going to drive to Vincennes, Indiana, on Saturday 2017-08-19 and stay at a hotel that night. Then we'll watch the weather all day Sunday and change our plans if necessary. But if the forecast is good, we'll leave early Monday morning and drive to the most convenient spot on the centreline, then return to Vincennes afterwards and drive back to London on the Tuesday.
Peter Jedicke, FRASC
London Centre Honorary President

"It could be true that my interest in abstractions is now being forgiven on grounds of senility." (Marilynne Robinson, "Gilead")

mroffey
Member Name: Mike R

Post by mroffey » May 20th, 2017, 1:16 pm

My wife and I have reservations at the Grand Island KOA for the eclipse. We'll be arriving on the Saturday before the eclipse and leaving for South Dakota and Custer State Park the day after.

Roman
Member Name: Roman Dubinski

Post by Roman » May 20th, 2017, 5:22 pm

If weather cooperates my wife and I are planning to travel the shortest distance to totality which will be near Kentucky and Tennessee boarder, on interstate 65.
Small town Franklin, Ky, is organizing all day activities nearby, in a drive in place. This is one possibility. Here is the link:

http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/communi ... in_378.htm

Most probably however, I would just go to the Welcome Center on Kentucky/Tennessee boarder, on highway 65 (either direction) and spend a few hours there.
Roman

Peter Jedicke
Member Name: Peter Jedicke

Post by Peter Jedicke » July 24th, 2017, 11:56 am

I just heard Tom Glinos and his wife are flying to Cincinnati on Saturday and will rent a car, spend Sunday watching the weather, and drive to the centreline. There are also two families of Western astronomy faculty members following the same plan except driving to Indianapolis Saturday as the base.

Remember folks, please don't start up a new thread about the eclipse. Post your plans here, or post ideas and other suggestions in the other thread.

I suggest we start a new thread on the Saturday night, 2017-08-19, with details and up-to-the-minute info. It will be important to share info from wherever we are, and we don't want it to get any more confusing than it has to be.
Peter Jedicke, FRASC
London Centre Honorary President

"It could be true that my interest in abstractions is now being forgiven on grounds of senility." (Marilynne Robinson, "Gilead")

mroffey

Post by mroffey » July 24th, 2017, 2:59 pm

Change of plans for us. We'll be going to Nashville and camping at the Nashville KOA. The following site for eclipse historical weather info was mentioned by the key note speaker at Starfest: http://eclipsophile.com/.

More risk of cloud cover in Kentucky and Tennessee than in Nebraska, but have to take what you can get at times and make the best of it.
Attachments
IMG_0117.PNG
Last edited by mroffey on July 24th, 2017, 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mroffey

Post by mroffey » July 24th, 2017, 3:02 pm

Darn auto correct. Should be "and make the best of it".
Attachments
IMG_0118.PNG

Harold Tutt
Member Name: Harold Tutt

Re: 2017 Eclipse RASC plans

Post by Harold Tutt » July 24th, 2017, 3:56 pm

Peter Jedicke wrote:
April 23rd, 2017, 4:08 pm
So it looks like this thread is where we are sharing our plans.

Mike Flegel, Steve Gauthier and I are going to watch the long-range forecast a week before. If it looks okay for southern Indiana/Illinois, we are going to drive to Vincennes, Indiana, on Saturday 2017-08-19 and stay at a hotel that night. Then we'll watch the weather all day Sunday and change our plans if necessary. But if the forecast is good, we'll leave early Monday morning and drive to the most convenient spot on the centreline, then return to Vincennes afterwards and drive back to London on the Tuesday.
Ok with all the travelling that everyone seems to be doing could someone tell me (do to unfortunate circtumstances) / & perhaps a few others. Where are those poor stay at home people meeting the day of the eclipse .? ?