Byron Northview P.S. Star Party April 14, 20h

Discuss what the RASC is doing in the community
DaveMcCarter
Member Name: David McCarter

Byron Northview P.S. Star Party April 14, 20h

Post by DaveMcCarter » February 27th, 2015, 2:00 pm

Jeff Gallant, Grade 6 teacher at Byron Northview, reports that Canadian Astronaut Jeremy Hanson will be at the school on April 14th, 2015, for Space Science Week.

London Centre Members will provide an evening Star Party on the same day in the school playground with setup begining about 19:30 and observing begining at dusk.

It is not likely that Mr. Hanson will stay for the star party, but if he did, how cool would that be?

Dave

Peter Jedicke
Member Name: Peter Jedicke

Re: Byron Northview P.S. Star Party April 14, 20h

Post by Peter Jedicke » February 27th, 2015, 3:06 pm

D5, are we giving a presentation during the day as part of this event?
(I myself have late classes on Tuesday and then another commitment that evening.)
Last edited by Peter Jedicke on February 28th, 2015, 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Jedicke, FRASC
London Centre Honorary President

"It could be true that my interest in abstractions is now being forgiven on grounds of senility." (Marilynne Robinson, "Gilead")

Robert Duff
Member Name: Robert Duff

Post by Robert Duff » February 27th, 2015, 5:09 pm

Hello Peter and Dave,

Since Dave McCarter will be away for this event, I have sent an e-mail (February 27th) to the teacher at Byron Northview Public School and copied my e-mail to Rick, Dave, Everett and you. There will be no slide presentation, at least as far as I have planned.

I am suggesting the following Star Night agenda for our RASC London Centre members:

Event: Star Night
Location: Byron Northview Public School, 1370 Commissioners Road West (just past Boler Road, on the south side),
London, Ontario
Date: Tuesday, April 14th, 2015
Time: 8:00--11:00 p.m. (Sunset Time: 8:06 p.m.)

Agenda: Telescope set up time in school playground is 7:30--8:00 p.m. There will be no Moon in the sky. However, objects well placed to observe include Jupiter, in the mid-evening sky, and Venus, in the western sky. There are also deep-sky objects to observe including the double-stars such as Castor (in Gemini), Algieba (in Leo) and Mizar and Alcor in the Big Dipper (Ursa Major).

If the above announcement looks good the way it is, I can post it separately on the Public Outreach Forum.

Bob Duff
Last edited by Robert Duff on March 6th, 2015, 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harold Tutt
Member Name: Harold Tutt

Post by Harold Tutt » February 27th, 2015, 5:21 pm

Bob I have it scheduled. Please keep me informed if any changes come up.

Harold

[quote="Robert Duff"]Hello Peter and Dave,

Since Dave McCarter will be away for this event, I have sent an e-mail (February 27th) to the teacher at Byron Northview Public School and copied my e-mail to Rick, Dave, Everett and you. There will be no slide presentation, at least as far as I have planned.

I am suggesting the following Star Night agenda for our RASC London Centre members:

Event: Star Night
Location: Byron Northview Public School, 1370 Commissioners Road West (just past Boler Road, on the south side),
London, Ontario
Time: 8:00--11:00 p.m. (Sunset Time: 8:05 p.m.)

Everett
Member Name: Everett Clark

Post by Everett » March 1st, 2015, 12:25 am

I will try to be there aswell
Everett Clark
RASC London Secretary (2014-Present)

Robert Duff

Post by Robert Duff » March 2nd, 2015, 6:27 pm

Hello All,

The week of April 13th--17th has been proclaimed Space Week at Byron Northview Public School.

Canadian Astronaut Jeremy Hansen will be their Guest of Honour at a school wide assembly on the afternoon of Tuesday, April 14th, and that evening London Centre will provide a Star Night for Grades 6, 7 and 8.

London Centre Members who have supported previous Byron Northview Public School Star Nights or plan to support this years Star Night are INVITED TO ATTEND the assembly.

Jeremy Hansen has been invited to attend the Star Night but he may be unable to attend.

Please RSVP here if you wish to attend the afternoon assembly as well as to assist with the evening Star Night.

The location of the school is:
Byron Northview Public School
1370 Commissioners Road West (a few blocks west of Boler Road, on the south side)

There is adequate parking and access to the playground off Stephen Street.

Bob Duff
Higher Education Liaison
RASC London Centre

DaveMcCarter
Member Name: David McCarter

Post by DaveMcCarter » March 15th, 2015, 1:38 pm

Peter Jedicke wrote:D5, are we giving a presentation during the day as part of this event?
(I myself have late classes on Tuesday and then another commitment that evening.)
No, this is a totally school event, which we're invited to, but we're not presenting.

Dave

Peter Jedicke
Member Name: Peter Jedicke

Post by Peter Jedicke » March 15th, 2015, 10:21 pm

Thanks Dave. If the event is in the morning, I will go to it.
Peter Jedicke, FRASC
London Centre Honorary President

"It could be true that my interest in abstractions is now being forgiven on grounds of senility." (Marilynne Robinson, "Gilead")

Robert Duff

Post by Robert Duff » April 11th, 2015, 11:18 am

Hello All,

I just want to summarize the upcoming Star Night at Byron Northview Public School. The weather forecast calls for a mix of Sun and clouds, but hopefully it will be clear in the evening. I will be there early, around 7:00 p.m., and hope that we have a good turn-out of RASC London Centre members with telescopes!

Once again, the announcement and directions are as follows:

Event: Star Night, Byron Northview Public School, April 14th, 2015
London, Ontario
Time: 8:00—11:00 p.m. (Sunset Time: 8:06 p.m.)

Agenda: Telescope set up time in school playground is 7:00--8:00 p.m. There will be no Moon in the sky. However, objects well placed to observe include Jupiter, in the mid-evening sky, and Venus, in the western sky. There are also deep-sky objects to observe including the double-stars such as Castor (in Gemini), Algieba (in Leo) and Mizar and Alcor in the Big Dipper (Ursa Major).

Canadian Astronaut Jeremy Hanson will be at the school in the afternoon of April 14th, 2015. However, he will probably not be at the evening Star Night.

Bob Duff
Higher Education Liaison
RASC London Centre

Robert Duff

Post by Robert Duff » April 13th, 2015, 2:28 pm

Hello All,

Everything is all set for the Star Night at Byron Northview Public School, Tuesday evening, April 14th, with telescope set-up time, 7:00--8:00 p.m., and observing, 8:00--11:00 p.m. Sunset is at 8:06 p.m.

This is Space Week at Byron Northview School and Canadian Astronaut Jeremy Hansen will be speaking at a general assembly on Tuesday morning, April 14th, 10:30--11:40 a.m. RASC London Centre members are invited to attend.

The Teacher coordinating the event, Jeff Gallant, would like to have the names of any RASC London Centre members who wish to attend the assembly with Canadian Astronaut Jeremy Hansen. If you wish to attend the Assembly with Canadian Astronaut Jeremy Hansen please reply to this message on this Forum and give me your name. I will forward it to Jeff Gallant.

When you arrive at the school, go to the office and identify yourself as a RASC London Centre member and give your name, which should be on the list. They will direct you to where the assembly is being held. (Please note that Astronaut Jeremy Hansen is unlikely to be at the evening star night.)

I also hope that we will have a good turnout or RASC London Centre members with telescopes for the evening Star Night. Once again, the agenda and directions are as follows:

Star Night, Byron Northview Public School, April 14th, 2015

London, Ontario
Time: 8:00—11:00 p.m. (Sunset Time: 8:06 p.m.)

Agenda: Telescope set up time in school playground is 7:00--8:00 p.m. There will be no Moon in the sky. However, objects well placed to observe include Jupiter, in the mid-evening sky, and Venus, in the western sky. There are also deep-sky objects to observe including the double-stars such as Castor (in Gemini), Algieba (in Leo) and Mizar and Alcor in the Big Dipper (Ursa Major). Expect 40--80 children and adults.

Canadian Astronaut Jeremy Hanson will be at the school in the morning to address an assembly 10:30--11:40 a.m. of April 14th, 2015. However, he will probably not be at the evening Star Night.

Bob Duff
Higher Education Liaison
RASC London Centre
Last edited by Robert Duff on April 13th, 2015, 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.