Real Name

Subscribe to this topics to get the latest news and announcements
pictorobservatory
Member Name: Bill Gardner

Real Name

Post by pictorobservatory » December 19th, 2011, 1:25 pm

Several members asked for Forum member's names are posted, as some usernames were confusing as they did not know who they were really talking with. All new members will need to fill this information in when registering. Your Admin team though would like everyone to take a moment and fill this in.

The process is easy. Simply click on User Control Panel ---> Profile ---> Edit Profile ---> Member Name

You can see the example in the attached screenshot.
Attachments
fullname.jpg
Bill Gardner - bill AT pictorobservatory DOT ca
Pictor Observatory http://www.pictorobservatory.ca

Pete Raine
Member Name: Pete Raine

Re: Real Name

Post by Pete Raine » December 21st, 2011, 8:44 pm

I know that this is common thing on forums...to use some funky name other than your actual, but I personally don't see any reason for this here on the London RASC forum.

I also thought all new members were going to have to do this, yet I see a new member from yesterday that doesn't have their real name.

-Pete
"Burn the Land, Boil the Sea, You can't take the Sky from me." Joss Whedon - FireFly

Pete Raine
Observatory Committee Chair

Peter Jedicke
Member Name: Peter Jedicke

Post by Peter Jedicke » December 22nd, 2011, 3:08 am

Hi Pete,
I kind of agree with you, but I consider it a matter of etiquette and not something we should force on members. If I understand correctly, the current requirement is for new members to reveal their true name on their member profile, which all other members can read. But if anyone, including a new member, wants to use a non-revealing handle or moniker, this will appear on their posts. Since some posts will be in the public areas of the Forums, I can imagine why someone might want to use a non-revealing name.
Peter Jedicke
"The whole beauty of science, and particularly physics, is that it tells us something astonishing about reality, correcting our naïve intuitions about space and time and causality." (Rebecca Newberger Goldstein)

Michael Jager
Member Name: Michael JAGER

Post by Michael Jager » December 22nd, 2011, 11:20 am

Peter Jedicke wrote:Hi Pete,
I kind of agree with you, but I consider it a matter of etiquette and not something we should force on members. If I understand correctly, the current requirement is for new members to reveal their true name on their member profile, which all other members can read. But if anyone, including a new member, wants to use a non-revealing handle or moniker, this will appear on their posts. Since some posts will be in the public areas of the Forums, I can imagine why someone might want to use a non-revealing name.
Absolutely why I use a fun name -- although, I am not sure whether or not a non-member able to see the members list which indicates their real name.
Michael JAGER

Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the prospect is staggering!
- Arthur C.Clarke

Peter Jedicke

Post by Peter Jedicke » December 22nd, 2011, 1:32 pm

Mike,
one of the SysOps can confirm, but I think the point is that the Members list is only available to members. Most of the forums are on our side of the privacy wall. One of the things I haven't checked out is whether there's some really obvious indicator on screen when someone is composing a post that is going on the other side of the privacy wall, i.e. visible to public.
Peter Jedicke
"The whole beauty of science, and particularly physics, is that it tells us something astonishing about reality, correcting our naïve intuitions about space and time and causality." (Rebecca Newberger Goldstein)

AtariJeff
Site Admin
Member Name: Jeff Harrison

Post by AtariJeff » December 22nd, 2011, 4:12 pm

The Announcements and RASC Events forums are open to the public. They can't click on your profile to see your information.
Jeff Harrison
Systems Admin

"Beware of computer programmers that carry screwdrivers."
-Leonard Brandwein

Peter Jedicke

Post by Peter Jedicke » December 22nd, 2011, 4:33 pm

Thanks, Jeff. So, Mike and Kelly and everyone, that means you can share your real name in your profile with us, your fellow members, but still stay un-revealed to the public if you use a handle or moniker as your login name. I hope that makes a compromise more palatable to those on both sides of this issue.
Peter Jedicke

Cheri
Member Name: Cheri Raine

Post by Cheri » December 22nd, 2011, 8:09 pm

I was curious what was Public from reading these posts, the heading to Fingal which was normally part of the email list is now public. These posts currently contain a list of first and last names of the key holders which seems to have the opposite effect of people using other names on the forum.

Peter Jedicke

Post by Peter Jedicke » December 23rd, 2011, 12:12 am

Perhaps the moderator (Dave5) can set a particular topic (=thread) to be not public even within the public Forum.
Peter Jedicke

DaveMcCarter
Member Name: David McCarter

Post by DaveMcCarter » December 25th, 2011, 12:05 pm

In a civil and open society our good name is often all we have, and I have found over the years on the internet that using my whole name has had positive consequences, not negative ones. Yes, people sometimes look me up in the phone book too. Does this mean I should have an unlisted number?

There are Centres where the members names, whole names, are part of the public record and published on the web page. I think that is great. Suppose someone is keenly interested in astronomy, stumbles upon our web page, checks out the forums and sees the name of a friend on the keyholders list. "Hey, I didn't know Ted was a member of the astronomy club. I'll have to call him up and see if I can come out to a meeting, or go observing, etc." You get the idea. When I found out that Dave Toth was associated with the London Centre it wasn't long until I was at a meeting. I had tried to find the Centre back in the early 70's with no luck. It was a difficult time I suppose

All to say, I thought that having keyholders names publically available was a good thing.

Dave