Green Laser Pointers

Discuss what the RASC is doing in the community
mroffey
Member Name: Mike R

Green Laser Pointers

Post by mroffey » September 16th, 2018, 3:51 pm

FYI

Link to Transport Canada web site regarding regulations for green laser pointers.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/transpo ... tml#browse

mroffey

Re: Green Laser Pointers

Post by mroffey » September 16th, 2018, 5:00 pm

More information regarding green laser pointers from Transport Canada:

Lasers for astronomy and laser light shows
Lasers are often used in astronomy to point at stars or sky features. If you plan on aiming a laser into navigable airspace, you must get permission from Transport Canada.

We give written permission if your laser use is not likely to:

create a hazard to aviation safety
cause damage to an aircraft
cause injury to persons on board the aircraft
We may specify conditions necessary to ensure the safe use of the laser.

You can also speak with your local astronomy club. They may have additional information for you. The Royal Astronomical Society of Canada provides information on green laser pointer usage.

Complete the proposal form

Complete the Notice of proposal to conduct outdoor laser operation(s) [PDF, 1.6 Mb] and send it to the Transport Canada regional office closest to you.

Understand the new safety measure
You may still buy and own a laser pointer—you just need to follow the new safety measure.
Interim Order Respecting Battery-powered Hand-held Lasers
You cannot possess a hand-held laser over 1 mW outside of a private dwelling within:

municipalities within the greater Montréal, Toronto or Vancouver regions
a 10-kilometre radius of an airport and certified heliports
You may possess a hand-held laser anywhere in Canada for any of the following reasons:

The laser has 1 mW of power or less
You are in possession of the laser for a legitimate purpose, such as for work, school or educational purposes
Learn more about enforcement and penalties
You are a member of an astronomy society and are in possession of the laser for that purpose
Learn more about lasers for astronomy and laser light shows
Lasers affected by the safety measure

The safety measure affects battery-powered hand-held lasers of over 1 mW in power. These lasers may look like pens or flashlights. Often, people use them when giving a lecture or presentation.

The higher the number of milliwatts (mW), the more powerful the laser.

Learn more about how lasers are classified and their power output

Explore the interactive map
Use the map to learn where the new safety measure is in effect. If you plan on using your laser outside, such as in a park, be sure to check out the map before you go.

Map: Where hand-held lasers over 1 milliwatt are prohibited

Enforcement and penalties
You don’t want to be caught in possession of a laser where you shouldn’t be. And you certainly don’t want to be caught aiming one at an aircraft. If you’re caught, law enforcement can issue you a fine on the spot.

If you’re stopped by law enforcement, you should be prepared to demonstrate why you’re in possession of a hand-held laser over 1 mW.

Note: The RASC has a committee looking into this legislation.

mroffey

Post by mroffey » September 16th, 2018, 5:18 pm

One last post on this topic. A screen shot showing where laser pointers over 1mW are prohibited in the London area. This is from the interactive map on the Transport Canada website: http://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/transpo ... d-map.html
Attachments
Screenshot_2018-09-16 Where hand-held lasers over 1 milliwatt are prohibited - Transport Canada.jpg

darmstrong
Member Name: Dale Armstrong

Post by darmstrong » September 17th, 2018, 1:24 am

1mW will certainly go far.

David L. Clark

Post by David L. Clark » September 19th, 2018, 10:12 pm

I'm looking forward to a clarification of the regulations from the committee, as every place I read people's interpretation of the regs, I see disagreement, use of vague terms, and even contradiction in what one person writes. For instance: GLPs are not allowed within 10 km of an airport or heliport, but that we can possess a GLP anywhere in Canada if we belong to an astronomy club. Which rule trumps the other? Also, we need permission to use a GLP in navigable airspace. How many people actually know what is navigable airspace in SW Ontario, and to people understand that is different than to 10 km limit. From the committee I'd be looking for an accurate distillation of the regulations that has been checked and double checked for completeness of language and definitions, and accurate description of what rules any exceptions override. It will be interesting to see if that distillation ends up being any shorter than the regulations. And no, I'm not looking for interpretations here, my GLP is in lock-down until I read a committee report:-)

darmstrong
Member Name: Dale Armstrong

Post by darmstrong » September 21st, 2018, 12:19 am

At least we don't have to follow DoD directives - yet!

Attached.
Attachments
8_Department_of_Defense_Instruction_DoDI_3100.11-2.pdf
(208.75 KiB) Downloaded 63 times

Peter Jedicke
Member Name: Peter Jedicke

Post by Peter Jedicke » May 3rd, 2019, 1:24 pm

A message from Dave17 Chapman this morning....

Thanks to Dennis Lyons and the “new” RASC Committee on Green Laser Pointer use for sitting down with Transport Canada to clarify educational use of GLPs outdoors at night. Last year’s poorly thought out ministerial directive caused much confusion and consternation in our ranks. This year’s outreach season promises to be much more satisfying!

Dennis, since you have a channel to TC, would it be possible to clarify what is meant by an astronomical association? To be specific, I would to see that umbrella extended to include RASC Dark Sky Preserves (such as Kejimkujik) where staff run outreach programs as part of their DSP mandate. If you could do that, it would be very helpful to us here in Nova Scotia.

cheers,
Dave (from my iPhone)
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada
Peter Jedicke, FRASC
London Centre Honorary President

"It could be true that my interest in abstractions is now being forgiven on grounds of senility." (Marilynne Robinson, "Gilead")