2017 Eclipse RASC Grand Island

Subscribe to this topics to get the latest news and announcements
Roman
Member Name: Roman Dubinski

Re: 2017 Eclipse RASC Grand Island

Post by Roman » August 24th, 2017, 2:18 pm

We saw the whole thing perfectly. Got scared at first since the Tennessee welcome center was cordoned off by the police - it was full of cars and people.
The same thing in the opposing direction South towards Kentucky.
We took next exit and drove some country roads. Gas station and a few households were charging 10 dollars for parking! We saw a church up the hill and drove in there. We saw 20something people setting up telescopes on church premises. There was a couple from Montreal, people from Ohio and Kentucky.
Very friendly atmosphere. We introduced ourselves and gave away spare eclipse glasses. There was just a few clouds but not major concerns.
The rest of event went by the book. The totality blew our minds away! We took lots of pictures. My wife took a video with a rooster crowing in the nearby farm.
We left shortly after totality. Traffic back was hectic but who cares!
Cannot wait till 2024!!!
Roman and Margaret

mroffey
Member Name: Mike R

Post by mroffey » August 24th, 2017, 8:23 pm

Glad you found a spot to set up and watch with other people. It was definitely a surreal experience. Even though we had some clouds it still worth the trip. I can now understand the passion those who have seen a total solar eclipse have for them. We were able to share the experience with a couple of fellow Canadians in Nashville as well as a couple of retired school teachers from Texas.

Rick Saunders

Post by Rick Saunders » August 30th, 2017, 1:28 pm

I left London on Saturday to Burlington, IN and loaded up Doug and his wife Bonnie. The drive from there to French Village, MO on Sunday was just over 6 hours including lunch stop at the worst Chinese Buffet on the planet. The crowd at the farm was about 45 of the owner's family (4 generations) and 7 of us strangers (4 from Tulsa, another denizen of the Freenode ##astronomy channel). Two of the family are pro chefs that run St. Louis restaurants and they put on probably the best 'cookout' I've ever seen. Pork from Iowa, chicken from Illinois, etc. etc.

Anyway, the forecaset wasn't great but we all said 'what the heck, we're here'. Monday dawned clear and through the eclipse until we left stayed that way but for some cumulus fractus early in the eclipse. Great shots, great company, great eclipse. We're already planning 2024.
I'd love to change the world. But I don't know what to do. So I'll leave it up to you.

Rick Saunders

mroffey

Post by mroffey » August 30th, 2017, 4:03 pm

There was no shortage on eclipse centered events in Nashville. One big party at the Opreyland resort. Even had eclipse cocktails to serve.
Attachments
IMG_0322.JPG

mroffey

Post by mroffey » August 30th, 2017, 4:07 pm

Made a stop to see the Neil Armstrong Space Museum on the way home. Barely any visitors there, well worth the time.
Attachments
IMG_0348.JPG
IMG_0344.JPG
IMG_0339.JPG
IMG_0337.JPG