Central Huron S.S. Star Party Sept 27, 2016

Find out about RASC star parties
DaveMcCarter
Member Name: David McCarter

Central Huron S.S. Star Party Sept 27, 2016

Post by DaveMcCarter » September 13th, 2016, 6:04 pm

Alyssa Gilbert, after doing several years of public outreach at the Cronyn, is now teaching at Central Huron Secondary School in Clinton, and has asked for London Centre to provide a Star Party for her students.

Telescopes will be set up starting at 19:30 on September 27th, with the 28th or 29th reserved as rain dates.

CHSS is located in north east Clinton, which is 80km from London. Sounds far, but Goderich is a bit further. Driving up Highway 4, you know you are getting close when you pass Vanastra, the site of the old WWII radar training school. After passing over the Bayfield River bridge, and then the railroad tracks, turn right on East St. and drive north. Cross over highway 8 at the lights with a slight jog onto Percival St and continue north to Princess St. Turn left and the high school is on your right. The road on the east side of the building goes back to the parking lot, where we will be observing.

De-Brief will be at the Tim's at the north end of Exeter.

Dave V

DaveMcCarter

Re: Central Huron S.S. Star Party Sept 27, 2016

Post by DaveMcCarter » September 27th, 2016, 9:29 am

The slow moving low pressure system currently centred over Marathon, on the north shore of Lake Superior, will move south over the next two days, bringing cloud and possibly rain to Clinton late this afternoon and evening. The cloud and rain will linger through Thursday, meaning our Star Party planned for this week would have to be virtual. We must be getting close to new moon.

So... in case you didn't read between the lines, Star Party at Clinton High School cancelled for this week. We may be able to do something following a successful Byron Northview next week.

Dave

DaveMcCarter

Re: Central Huron S.S. Star Party October 3rd, 2016

Post by DaveMcCarter » September 29th, 2016, 4:41 pm

The forecast is looking great for early next week, so Allysa and I have decided to go with Monday, October 3rd, at 19:00 for the Clinton Star party.

Dave

DaveMcCarter

Re: Central Huron S.S. Star Party Oct 5, 2016

Post by DaveMcCarter » October 1st, 2016, 6:00 pm

Trying to stay on top of the ever evolving weather forecast, Alyssa and I have changed the Star Party night to Wednesday, October 5th, assuming that we manage to get in the Byron Northview PS star party on the 4th.

DaveMcCarter

Post by DaveMcCarter » October 6th, 2016, 12:58 pm

Wednesday evening had a few bands of clouds which made the sunset spectactular, and as dusk approached the skies cleared, uncovering a low and bright Venus. Those students and parents who arrived early were able to view Venus through my two telescopes. The ISS made a pass starting just after 7:30 but visible confirmation was blocked by those clouds. I was also monitoring the ARISS packet frequency at 145.825 MHz and many packets were heard.

As more teachers, students and parents arrived Saturn and then the moon were reveiled, and everyone enjoyed the views. Someone set up an eight inch dobsonian and I walked over to see who it was. Imagine my surprise when I realized the scope owner was Steve Barnes. His wife teaches science at CHSS and they now live in Ben Miller.

I taught several students how to point my scopes and they did a good job keeping the targets in the view. Many students attempted afocal photography and were very successful with the moon and Saturn.

After Mars was uncovered by the clouds and cleared the local tall trees we looked at it at high power, which of course involved keeping the scopes pointed much more frequently.

Once all the planets were well covered we started looking at other objects like M13, M22, M31, M57, Vega, the Double Double, M27, Alberio, the Double Cluster, and these objects led to discussions about stellar birth and stellar evolution, orbits in globular clusters, and stellar mergers. One of the students had researched globular clusters and was thrilled to see them.

The ISS made a second pass just after 9pm and the radio heard the ARISS packets while the ISS was still behind the trees. We spotted it quickly and saw it dissapear in Earth's shadow. Observations came to an end shortly after 10pm when the last students were picked up.

Dave

DaveMcCarter

Post by DaveMcCarter » October 6th, 2016, 6:19 pm

I had an email from one of the teachers this morning I thought I should share.
"Thanks to you, Dave! We had several girls this morning eager to talk about what they saw and share their cell phone photos. We could not have been happier with the response from our students!"

Dave