Do you think the Forums are working for us?

Subscribe to this topics to get the latest news and announcements

Do you think the Forums are working?

Poll ended at December 18th, 2015, 11:20 am

Yes, I like the Forums better than the old email list/exploder that we used before 2011
81%
Yes, but I still preferred the old email system
5%
No, but I put up with the Forums because it's where the action is
14%
No, I can't stand it and I wish we would go back to some kind of email system
No votes
This poll is silly
No votes

Total votes: 21

Peter Jedicke
Member Name: Peter Jedicke

Do you think the Forums are working for us?

Post by Peter Jedicke » December 6th, 2015, 11:20 am

We have 158 subscribers on these Forums. We're closing in on 9000 posts in the 4 years the Forums have been open, but 87% of these posts were put up by only 16% of the participants. I would like to get some feedback on whether all this is working for all of you. So this is my first attempt to create a poll. I will monitor and probably evolve the poll and I hope to report at upcoming London Centre meeting. Please participate in the poll and be patient with me if I do something that seems silly.
Peter Jedicke, FRASC
London Centre Honorary President

"It could be true that my interest in abstractions is now being forgiven on grounds of senility." (Marilynne Robinson, "Gilead")

pictorobservatory
Member Name: Bill Gardner

Re: Do you think the Forums are working for us?

Post by pictorobservatory » December 6th, 2015, 12:10 pm

Peter Jedicke wrote:We have 158 subscribers on these Forums. We're closing in on 9000 posts in the 4 years the Forums have been open, but 87% of these posts were put up by only 16% of the participants. I would like to get some feedback on whether all this is working for all of you. So this is my first attempt to create a poll. I will monitor and probably evolve the poll and I hope to report at upcoming London Centre meeting. Please participate in the poll and be patient with me if I do something that seems silly.
The ratio of posts on the Forum to users though is a meaningless number without the comparable statistic for the old Listserve. We don't have access to that type of analytics for the old system, but it was a similar case where certain users were responsible for the majority of messages, while others did not contribute any and simply paid attention to the goings on.

Bill
Bill Gardner - bill AT pictorobservatory DOT ca
Pictor Observatory http://www.pictorobservatory.ca

Peter Jedicke
Member Name: Peter Jedicke

Post by Peter Jedicke » December 6th, 2015, 3:09 pm

You're right, of course, Bill. We might be able to get such a statistic if the archive on the RASC server still exists. In fact, I suspect all communities going back to the Hittites and the Sumerians have similar statistics. That's not really a problem, I hope.

BTW, the debate continues to rage on the national RASCList about Forums versus email list. I will try to summarize the major points here at some point.
Peter Jedicke, FRASC
London Centre Honorary President

"It could be true that my interest in abstractions is now being forgiven on grounds of senility." (Marilynne Robinson, "Gilead")

Mike.Hanes
Member Name: Mike Hanes

Post by Mike.Hanes » December 6th, 2015, 5:53 pm

Hi All
Since the Forums inception I have noticed less people seem to come to Fingal to Observe. I think the email list was a more real time notification and More information on who was going seem to be available.
Mike
Clear Skies
Mike Hanes

Pete Raine
Member Name: Pete Raine

Post by Pete Raine » December 6th, 2015, 7:41 pm

Mike.Hanes wrote:Hi All
Since the Forums inception I have noticed less people seem to come to Fingal to Observe. I think the email list was a more real time notification and More information on who was going seem to be available.
Mike
By subscribing to the "Heading to Fingal" section of the forum, I receive an email when someone posts to it, which ultimately works the same then as the old email list serve.

The only thing that is different, is that you don't receive any more email notifications until you actually go to the forum and read the post that triggered the email.

Maybe that is something that can be changed for the Heading to Fingal section only.

Fingal attendance has always surprised me since I joined back in 2006...unless its a big event (i.e. meteor shower, new bright comet), there has never been a huge amount of people out at Fingal...just the regular group which over the years changes, as people come and go.

It seems to me that the forums see the same kind of activity...and from memory the Listserve was the same too...
"Burn the Land, Boil the Sea, You can't take the Sky from me." Joss Whedon - FireFly

Pete Raine
Observatory Committee Chair

cevans
Member Name: Chris Evans

Post by cevans » December 7th, 2015, 10:52 am

The "87% of these posts were put up by only 16% of the participants" statistic doesn't faze me at all.

I'm more interested in quality over quantity (i.e. signal to noise ratio) and I'm happy with the balance we have. I think that any push to get more people posting just for the sake of numbers would shift that balance.

cevans

Post by cevans » January 29th, 2016, 11:27 am

It's been a while since I made the post above, but I just wanted to clarify that if there's a general desire to increase traffic on the forums to get livelier discussion, that would be a worthwhile goal. If we're just concerned about numbers though, I'm less enthusiastic. It's harder to measure quality than quantity, and I'm much more interested in the former.

There's a big difference between a forum where the participants never meet in person and one where the members meet in person regularly. I'm not concerned about our forum being low traffic particularly for that reason.

Rick Saunders

Post by Rick Saunders » January 29th, 2016, 3:16 pm

I have a hard enough time keeping track of the emails I get now.... I like the forum
I'd love to change the world. But I don't know what to do. So I'll leave it up to you.

Rick Saunders

Harold Tutt
Member Name: Harold Tutt

Post by Harold Tutt » January 29th, 2016, 4:37 pm

It is my opinion that the membership to the forum should be reviewed. There are people ( ??? ) Who joined the forum in 2012 or earlier who have never posted a topic nor had any word from since.
This really misaligns any information this pole gives.

I would also add that the use of a persons ( alter ego etc ) leaves me wondering at times who they are & does it really matter.

Harold Tutt

cevans

Post by cevans » January 29th, 2016, 4:47 pm

Harold Tutt wrote:There are people ( ??? ) Who joined the forum in 2012 or earlier who have never posted a topic nor had any word from since.
This really misaligns any information this pole gives.
Out of 158 subscribers, 21 responded. I think it's reasonable to assume that the people who responded are the ones that are at least checking the forums regularly and are thus the most invested. It's not unusual to have a lot of lurkers (see also the Wikipedia page on the subject).

In fact, 21/158 = 13.2%, which is in keeping with the 1% rule.