Transit of Mercury May 9th, 2016

Discuss what the RASC is doing in the community
DaveMcCarter
Member Name: David McCarter

Transit of Mercury May 9th, 2016

Post by DaveMcCarter » March 19th, 2016, 4:52 pm

A transit of Mercury is much more common than a transit of Venus, and very frequent when compared with the ultimate in rare events, the transit of Mars. The last Mercury Transit was in May 2006, and the next one will be in November 2019, and probably hidden by clouds.

After an almost perfect Mercury observing opportunity centred upon April 18, when Mercury is 20 degrees east of the sun and is easily visible after sunset, Mercury slides towards the sun and begins its transit on May 9th at 7:12 EDT, the middle of its cross sun treck comes at 10:57 EDT, and it slips off the face of the sun at 14:42 EDT.

London Members can enable the public to directly see this transit by getting a solar safe filter for their telescopes (which is a must anyway for looking at enigmatic sunspots) and setting up their telescope at one of the publically announced observing locations. These locations will be announced as soon as they are organized and confirmed.

Stay Tuned.

Dave V

DaveMcCarter

Re: Transit of Mercury May 9th, 2016

Post by DaveMcCarter » May 1st, 2016, 6:17 pm

It appears there will be at least two public observing events for the transit of Mercury on May 9th, starting just after 7:30 and going until early afternoon.

I and several others plan to be at the Masonville Chapters, starting quite early, maybe 7:15. Gad, I'm not even sure the sun is up at that time, as I see it so rarely. Fortunately once Chapters opens there is a Starbucks with your choice of morning Joe and cookies. We will also be promoting the club, the GA, and AstroCATS!

The Physics and Astronomy Department at Western is also planning an event at the Cronyn, starting at 7:00am, Mon, May 9, 2016 and going until 2:00 pm, YES, this is in the "daytime" folks. They plan to have some astronomy talks, historical artefacts, a scavenger hunt, and even more! Please note, there is not a Starbucks at the Cronyn.

Dave

Everett
Member Name: Everett Clark

Post by Everett » May 1st, 2016, 6:59 pm

I am planning on being at Cronyn. Hope there is a great turn out for you at Chapters
Everett Clark
RASC London Secretary (2014-Present)

PatrickW
Member Name: Patrick Whelan

Post by PatrickW » May 1st, 2016, 7:49 pm

I plan on being at Chapters north.
Transit of Mars? Like across Jupiter?
Patrick Whelan

Norman McCall
Member Name: Norman McCall

Post by Norman McCall » May 1st, 2016, 10:11 pm

I'll be there at 6:50am or so. Sunrise is at 6:08. As the transit start is at 7:13am, it would be great to catch the very first part.

Norm
The universe is essentially infinite and consists mostly of empty space!

mroffey
Member Name: Mike R

Post by mroffey » May 2nd, 2016, 12:41 pm

Might catch the first thirty minutes at the Cronyn but have to be in the office by 9:00 for a compulsory meeting so hope you guys get clear skies on Monday. Good news is that I should be retired by the next transit.

gaetgodi
Member Name: Gaëtan Godin

Post by gaetgodi » May 2nd, 2016, 2:14 pm

Chapters for me too...
Gaëtan

gaetgodi

Post by gaetgodi » May 7th, 2016, 3:30 pm

DaveMcCarter wrote:It appears there will be at least two public observing events for the transit of Mercury on May 9th, starting just after 7:30 and going until early afternoon.

I and several others plan to be at the Masonville Chapters, starting quite early, maybe 7:15. Gad, I'm not even sure the sun is up at that time, as I see it so rarely. Fortunately once Chapters opens there is a Starbucks with your choice of morning Joe and cookies. We will also be promoting the club, the GA, and AstroCATS!

The Physics and Astronomy Department at Western is also planning an event at the Cronyn, starting at 7:00am, Mon, May 9, 2016 and going until 2:00 pm, YES, this is in the "daytime" folks. They plan to have some astronomy talks, historical artefacts, a scavenger hunt, and even more! Please note, there is not a Starbucks at the Cronyn.

Dave
Is that the Chapters that is now labelled INDIGO? I drove by there today and am not sure if the sun will be above the buildings at 7:15am. There seems to be a fence, houses and trees in that direction, possibly blocking the horizon. I just checked, given sunrise at 6:08 the sun will be up about 10 degrees when Mercury enters it (ingress).
In driving back I saw a neat parking lot close to the entrance of Fanshawe park, just off Clarke. I may setup there... otherwise, will see you at Masonville assuming no cloulds... (fingers crossed.)
Gaëtan
Last edited by gaetgodi on May 7th, 2016, 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaveMcCarter

Post by DaveMcCarter » May 7th, 2016, 10:09 pm

The weather forecast is looking really good for Monday.
As in clear most of the day.
Some day time heating cloud after noon, but really clear!
Really!

The transit starts at 7:12 and by then the sun will be about 15 degrees up and clearing a lot of the eastern horizon.

Besides, we're amateur astronomers! We don't let no stinking building get in our way! See you there!

Yes, they might have changed the name, but to me it is still Chapters North. Just turn right where Farmer Brown once kept his herd of Holsteins, then left where there was the barn fire and the chickens were killed.

Dave

gaetgodi

Post by gaetgodi » May 8th, 2016, 10:13 am

Pictures from this morning, one at 6:11 from the parking lot on Clarke Rd., The other from INDIGO parking lot at , used to be known as Chapters
IMG_0338.jpg
6:11 sunrise
IMG_0379.jpg
6:38, half an hour before ingress
Gaëtan